A bucket list can be seen as something negative – putting pressure on yourself to do certain things before you’re ‘too old’. However, I look at bucket lists as positive – goal setting is always a good thing, and if you don’t manage it before the set time – no problem, just put it on your next bucket list! It is a well known fact that the most successful people are those who write down their aims, so I thought I would share my bucket list with you. I hope it gives you some inspiration and encourages you to write/update your own!
1. Be on a ’35 under 35′ list. Anyone who knows me will know that this is one of my never ending obsessions. Why? I’ve always drawn great inspiration from these lists – whether in Forbes, Brummel or Management Today – and hope to one day be an inspiration to the younger generation. This would be the ultimate achievement!
2. Get an AMEX. This is a silly one but who says they all have to be so serious? There seems to be a certain status associated with saying ‘Do you take AMEX?’ and I think it would be fun to be ‘that person’.
3. Travel to every continent (except Australia). This is a pretty common one. The only reason I’ve excluded Australia is because I’m petrified of their huge spiders. Which brings me on to…
4. Get over my fear of spiders. The less I say about this the better. Even writing about it is giving me the jeepers…
5. Buy a pair of Louboutins. Again, this is just a status thing. If I can afford to buy a pair of Louboutins without starving myself for the rest of the month, then I’ve made it!
6. Become a mentor. Mentorship doesn’t have to be so formal – you probably have mentors and mentees who you’ve never thought of in such terms but that is just what they are. I’d really like to give back in terms of helping other young women in their careers, and I try to do this at every opportunity, but being involved in some kind of formal mentoring programme would be excellent!
So, this is my bucket list as it currently stands. It is ever changing and obviously doesn’t cover everything but gives me a few things to reach for. The most important thing is to remain happy and healthy but hopefully that feeds through in everything I do and doesn’t need to be on a list!
Do you have a bucket list? Let me know what’s on it and if we share any common goals in the comments 🙂