This is a guest post from Sabrina Klein.
When it comes to working out and weight loss, it can become frustrating and tiresome when those wobbly parts feel like they just aren’t improving. We each have our own stubborn trouble zones that take a little extra work to tighten and tone – and, even though our friends tell us we look gorgeous, we can’t help but focus on these ‘problem’ areas. Many of us have tried countless diets and workouts specifically targeted at these areas but still find them hard to shift. Even though I know that everyone is different and various exercises work differently on different bodies, I actually started going to ask women who I thought looked so athletically fit and had a great body, what’s their secret?
And to my surprise they all said the same thing. They all train in some sort of martial arts whether it be boxing, judo, or kickboxing. I began my research on martial arts and found out so many great benefits that come from this sport and was dying to find a class. Martial Tribes helped me to choose which fight style to go for. They have so many profiles of professional martial artists all over the world with video demonstrations of each technique. After a few classes I’ve finally found a solid set of moves that have helped me shape up and feel confident about myself. I can’t quite give you a martial arts session but these simple exercises which are incorporated into my routine have worked wonders for my stomach, inner thighs, and booty so I want to share them with you!
This workout targets the back of your arms and, by keeping your elbows closer to your ribs than in the typical push-up, you increase the workout for your triceps.
Also Targets: Chest, triceps, abs, obliques, butt, and hips
- Start on the ground in full push-up position, balancing on your hands and feet with arms extended, body forming a straight line from head to heels. To make it easier, do the move with your knees down.
- Bring bent right knee out to the side at hip level as you bend elbows 90 degrees, keeping arms tucked close to ribs, so that right knee and elbow touch.
- Press up and return to start.
- Do 8 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
This workout also targets the back of your arms again by keeping your elbows closer to your ribs than in the typical push up, increasing the workout for your triceps.
Also Targets: Shoulders, chest, back, triceps, abs, and butt
- Start on the ground on all fours, then extend right leg behind you parallel to ground, toes pointed.
- Bending elbows and keeping them close to ribs, glide torso forward to lower chin and chest toward ground while lifting right leg.
- Return to start.
- Do 5 reps. Switch legs and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Participating in martial arts, you not only improve your reflexes while performing the activity, but actually experience faster reaction times during all activities of your life. This is very important in a number of daily activities, such as driving and even cooking.
This targets the belly – balancing in a full push-up pose and rotating to a side plank tones the deep abs.
Also Targets: Shoulders, abs, oblique’s, and inner thighs
- Start on the ground in full push-up position, balancing on hands and feet with arms extended, body a straight line from head to heels.
- Move into a side plank, shifting body weight to left hand and rotating body to extend right arm directly up, palm forward, as you bring extended left leg under torso and to right.
- Pulse left leg up and down 1 inch, 5 times.
- Return to start to complete 1 rep.
- Do 3 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
These three excercises alone will give you visible results in no time, and increase your strength ready for when you come along to try out a martial arts class! Martial arts is a high energy cardiovascular exercise with weight loss being very effective after a few sessions. By participating in one hour of moderate intensity martial arts, you can definitely burn 500 calories and be well on your way to great weight loss results. Martial arts will greatly improve the muscle mass in your body meaning you will look more firm and toned. The higher the muscle mass the more calories you will burn each day making weight loss even easier and the wobbly parts will be gone in no time.
Have you ever tried martial arts? Let us know what you think of these exercises once you’ve tried them!